From:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 1994 03:42:36 GMT
Follow up to Mr. Kaufman's article, here's the story of that freakout:

The Brown-RPI brawl occurred in the 1991 freakout, refereed by John
Malinowsky.  With 22 seconds left in the game and RPI leading 3-2 on a
goal by Bruce Coles 2 minutes into the third, the puck was frozen in the
corner.  One of Brown's players (don't know who) skated after Joe
Juneau.  Bruce Coles skated after him and the free-for-all ensued.  (For
those who know the Field House, it was the corner to the right of the
band as you face the flags.)  Ten misconduct penalties and a total of 146
penalties were handed out.  The game total of 204 penalty minutes was
an ECAC record at that time, since broken at least once, notably an RPI-
St. Lawrence game at Appleton.  Sean Kennedy, RPI's goalie, was the
only one on the ice not given a penalty and this resulted in an RPI
power-play, later made a two man advantage when Brown took another
penalty.  Brown pulled their goalie, but Mickey LeBlanc scored with 4
seconds remaining.  Then the megaphones were lobbed all over the ice
and Bob Gaudet pulled his team from the ice.  (I remember him being
very angry that day, especially at the referee, which isn't the same Coach
Gaudet I've come to know in the last few seasons.)

Anyway, that's the last time megaphones will be handed out at a
Freakout, according to Field House staff.  I'm holding mine right now,
being one of the few, it seems, not to send his sailing onto the ice.  The
scoring from that game was:

First Period:
17:38   Juneau (RPI)

Second Period: