From:
Norman Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Norman Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 1994 09:26:25 -0500
aaah, what a series it was.  I'm sure I'm a bit biased because BU came out on
top, & I'm not sure if I'd say this if were the other way around, but that was
the best hockey I've seen in a long time.  Some thoughts:

1) It's a real tribute to the Maine fans that they were able to fill up half
of our building, 250 miles away, on short notice.  They were vocal without
(for the most part) being obnoxious, and although I did get a bit miffed with
certain elements of their behavior, I can't say I wouldn't have behaved with
the same gusto if I were at Alfond.  Thank you for coming down and helping
to create such a great atmosphere.

2) I'm happy the Maine players got to play again.  They deserve nothing but
respect and praise.  After being ransacked by the Olympics/graduation/pros,
they have come together admirably.  By the way, am I the only one who thinks
that Snow is a much better goalie than Dunham, especially in the clutch?

3) I'd love to, just once, see Maine get called for a penalty without Sean
Walsh going berserk.  I chuckle when I see Maine boosters display signs
calling Jack Parker a crybaby.  Walsh, while being a fine motivator, is
treading very close to the worst elements of Jerry Tarkanian/Bobby Knight
territory.

4) Let's hope everything that's happened will have no lasting harm on the
Maine hockey program.  I know, as a BU fan, that the BU-BC rivalry has lost
much of its lustre because BC is so thoroughly mediocre (except for Greg
Taylor) now.  The BU-Maine rivalry is wonderful, and will continue to be
as long as both schools maintain their excellent programs.  Here's hoping
Maine has the second best recruiting class in the country next year.

5) One pet peeve: 40 & 85 aren't real college hockey numbers.  I miss the good
old days when the numbers ran from 1 to 30.  I was sad to see that go out the
window in the NHL over the past 20 years, and I wish it wouldn't happen in
college.  But that's just a minor personal opinion (no flames, please, it's
meant to be light-hearted! - nothing personal against Cardinal & Roenick)

Norm
Go Terriers!