Sender:
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 01:05:50 -0500
7bit
From:
Robin Lock <[log in to unmask]>
1. An interesting point on the "sell out" at SLU on Saturday was that
the SLU students are still on break for another week (Clarkson was back
already) so the usual "student" section at Appleton Arena was turned
into reserved seating and had lots of Clarkson fans  (including my
father-in-law who played for Clarkson in the 40's then came back as a
prof and founded their women's team in the 70's) sitting there instead
of the usual mob of SLU students who were scattered among the
non-reserved faculty/staff seats. .

2. ESPNU had relatively good coverage of the melee in the second game.
SLU was killing a penalty when Clarkson coughed the puck up and SLU came
in 2 on 2.  The Clarkson defenseman (Paquet?) misplayed the puck so that
it slid slowly to the goalie's left. Paquet put a shoulder into SLU's
McBride (interference?) as the goalie dove along the endline to his left
(glove) side to cover the puck. This put him right in the entangled
Paquet/McBride's path as they went by the side of the net (well outside
the crease) with Paquet clearly hitting him and McBride possibly never
touching him. SLU's Begosian who was just behind the play, disappeared
along with McBride as they were pasted against the boards by four
Clarkson players.  The fifth Clarkson player was not far behind and it
was 5 on 2 for quite a while (8-10 seconds) as the two SLU defensemen
were still far back up the ice (remember SLU was shorthanded). There's a
good camera angle showing 3 yellow helmets going after McBride along the
board while the linesman also decides to grab McBride who had the good
(?) sense to get out of his helmet so that his head was harder to hang
onto when the two SLU D finally arrived to even things up a bit. The
interesting part was the creative refereeing that somehow managed to
assign five penalties to the four SLU players and only four to the five
fully involved Clarkson players. Despite the fact that even the
announcers were calling the Touhimaa/Fensel "dance" pair, Touhimaa
somehow magically avoided the box to give Clarkson a 5 on 3 power play.

Robin Lock
Unbiasedly SLU