From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1992 00:51:32 EST
Saturday, March 28, 1992 at Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI
NC$$ EAST REGIONAL - QUARTERFINAL GAME
Michigan State Spartans (25-10-8)       1     2     0  -  3
Maine Black Bears (31-4-2)              1     1     0  -  2
FIRST PERIOD                                                       MSU-UM
1. UM1, Jim Montgomery 21 (Patrice Tardif), 5:39.                    0-1
2. MSU1, Dwayne Norris 42 (Peter White), 9:33.                       1-1
Penalties: UM, Barkley (interference) 7:22; MSU, Garbarz (cross-checking)
 10:01; UM, Robitaille (hooking) 10:42; UM, Martin (holding) 11:59; UM,
 Downey (roughing) 15:41; MSU, Suk (roughing) 15:41; UM, Link (hooking)
 17:59; MSU, Norris (roughing) 18:45.
SECOND PERIOD
3. MSU2, Norris 43 (White, Steve Suk), 1:54.  PPG                    2-1
4. MSU3, Bryan Smolinski 30 (Norris, Suk), 11:22.  GWG               3-1
5. UM2, Chris Imes 4 (Tardif, Montgomery), 17:12.                    3-2
Penalties: UM, Roy (interference) 0:34; MSU, Smolinski (interference)
 3:01; MSU, Perreault (interference) 5:23; MSU, Norton (tripping) 7:38;
 UM, Imes (hooking) 8:16; MSU, Smolinski (roughing) 12:43; UM, Ingraham
 (slashing) 12:43; UM, Roy (misconduct) 13:11; MSU, Messier (roughing
 after whistle), 13:22; UM, Barkley (hooking) 17:51.
THIRD PERIOD
No scoring.
Penalties: MSU, Woodward (holding) 11:25; UM, Tardif (boarding) 11:25.
SHOTS ON GOAL: Michigan State    9--8--7 = 24
               Maine             7-11-20 = 38
GOALIES: MSU, Mike Gilmore (16-9-7, 60:00, 38 sh-36 sv).
         UM, Garth Snow (25-4-2, 60:00, 24-21).
POWER PLAYS: MSU 1 of 8.  UM 0 of 6.
PENALTIES: MSU 9/18.  UM 11/30.
REFEREE: Jim Burlew.  LINESMEN: K.C. Chermak, Jay Borman.
ATTENDANCE: 8,521.

GOAL DESCRIPTIONS
UM1, 5:39 1st: Tardif is behind goal line with puck.  Montgomery is
 breaking into slot.  Tardif passes it out front, Montgomery one-times it
 in upper right corner of net past Gilmore.
 On ice MSU: Norton, McCauley, Turner, Worden, Woodward
 On ice UM: Downey, Montgomery, Tardif, Silverman, Weinrich
MSU1, 9:33 1st: White taps the puck free in neutral zone, Norris picks up
 loose puck and breaks into Maine zone unmolested.  Norris dekes the goalie
 and flips a backhand over the sprawled Garth Snow.
 On ice MSU: Norton, Norris, Suk, White, Messier
 On ice UM: Roy, Barkley, Fenton, Martin, Link
MSU2, 1:54 2nd: PP goal set up by Suk at the point who found an open Peter
 White on the right post.  White slides puck across crease to a wide open
 Norris on the left post.  Norris lets go a quick snap shot past Snow.
 On ice MSU: Murray, Norris, Smolinski, Suk, White
 On ice UM: Pellerin, Robitaille, Silverman, Link
MSU3, 11:22 2nd: Scramble in front of Snow.  Snow dives to make poke check,
 misses the puck and MSU's Smolinski puts it past a sprawled Snow.
 On ice MSU: Perreault, Norris, Smolinski, Suk, Garbarz
 On ice UM: Pellerin, Murphy, Barkley, Imes, Link
UM2, 17:12 2nd: Tardif cuts to net from left slot, dishes off puck in front
 of net where Imes redirects it through the five hole.
 On ice MSU: Perreault, Murray, Smolinski, Thompson, McCauley
 On ice UM: Tardif, Downey, Montgomery, Murphy, Imes

MAINE QUOTES
Head Coach Shawn Walsh: "It's a sad, sick feeling to play that well over
 the last 30 minutes and not be able to win.

 In a one game hockey series anything can happen.  It's just sad to see
 our season go down the chute because of one game.

 We've had a tremendous year.  I could accept this a lot easier if we didn't
 play well, but we played so bloody well I just think somebody upstairs
 didn't want us to win this one.

 The intensity is what the beauty of college hockey is all about.  The
 intensity of that game at ice level was tremendous.

 We let outside intangibles get us off our game.  We're dealing with
 emotions and dealing with college students...it happens.  We're humans
 and we're going to have letdowns here and there, but it seemed like when
 we had a letdown, number 14 [MSU's Dwayne Norris] had the puck on his
 stick and he's the wrong guy to have it on.

 This is a really solid State team.  I think Ron's done as good a coaching
 job as he's done and he's really molded the parts properly and tonight he
 got what he had to get - good goaltending."

F Jean-Yves Roy: "It's disappointing.  We played well all year and maybe
 peaked a little early."

F Jim Montgomery: On flurry in third period - "It's never frustrating if
 you're getting the chances, we just ran out of time."

MICHIGAN STATE QUOTES
Head Coach Ron Mason: On Maine - "I think you could see how good a team
 Maine was.  We played well for 60 minutes and our goalie was the key.  The
 one game format helped us in this case.  I still think Maine is the best
 team in the country."

 On team character - "Our team has the best character of any team I've
 coached.  I can't say enough about how well we hung in there to win.  We
 weren't trying to sit on the lead.  When Maine starts to turn up the
 volume, it's a dangerous thing."

 On son-in-law/daughter - "I feel for Shawn and Tracey.  We've been there
 before, this is business.  When you swallow that bitter pill, the sweeter
 pill tastes better."

 On CCHA: "I felt our league was stronger than ever, and I've been in this
 league since day one.  We have a shot at three CCHA teams in Albany."

F Dwayne Norris: On feeling of not being a Hobey finalist - "I can't put
 myself ahead of the team.  I did try to play harder and hopefully this
 helped the team.  They picked the best 10 players they felt were
 deserving."

G Mike Gilmore: On performance - "I had a little luck, I just tried to play
 the game and see what happened.  They threw everything at us and we
 weathered the storm."

D Joby Messier: Captain's pregame impressions - "I felt everyone was in a
 good mood before the game.  Everybody went into the game thinking we
 could win it and we did."

 On ice - "The ice was tough for both teams that first night, but it was
 definitely better tonight."
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   mikem@{beanpot,bubba}.ma30.bull.com
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)