From:
Adam Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1992 01:46:24 -0500
Well, I just got back from Providence and have noticed the
announcement of the MSU upset over Maine 3-2.

I thought I would put in a few comments, just note that they are
biased due to my being a BU fan. :-)

First, general ramblings about this years playoff format:

 Well, the East really took a pounding in this years NC$$'s, I have
 already heard that plans for next year will have the HockeyFest moved
 back a week to avoid the 1 week layoff that the eastern teams
 suffered.  While I don't think this affected the outcome of all of the
 games, I doubt it helped the eastern teams any.

 I really, really dislike this single-elimination regional format.
 While the attendence tonight at Providence wasn't bad, the first
 night wasn't all that great.

And some comments on tonights games:

 In the first game, much as expected, Wisconsin controlled most of the
 game and was really just too much for SLU.  Wisconsin came in ready
 to play, and SLU just couldn't keep up.  Once Wisconsin got the lead,
 it was pretty much over.  Although, I do feel that SLU played better
 against Wisconsin than UNH did.  Probably, this is due to the fact
 that tonight's game was more open and provided SLU with a chance if
 they could ever take it.  Wisconsin looks like it will be a tough
 team to play against in Albany, but their defense will be the key to
 their winning.  Tonight it opened up rather soft, giving up a goal to
 SLU on the power play that was mostly due to a slow to respond
 defense.  But, as the game progressed, the defense hardened and
 Wisconsin gave up few opportunities.  [I wish I could remember the
 score of the game, but the Maine-MSU game kind of washed the other
 one out of my head. :-(]

The Upset:

 In the second game, it was a very fast paced, often wide-open affair,
 with neither team really in control in the first period.  It ended
 with Maine and Michigan State tied at 1.  Right from the start MSU
 came out hitting and Maine (just as I am sure MSU wanted) hit back.
 There were plenty of penalties called, with more going MSU's way.  [I
 was put off by the "intentional offsides" calls made by the linesmen
 twice in the early going.  Is it standard for the west to call this
 even when the players are attempting to clear the zone and are not
 even thinking about touching the puck?  It was called once again in
 the third period.  All three times against Maine.]

 The second period was just about like the first, but MSU got two
 goals to earn a 3-1 lead, which looked rather untouchable until about
 3 minutes left in the period when Maine got a goal. {Someone said it
 when in off a skate, which is likely given the crowd rushing the
 net.}  Maine then took control on almost put in another, before they
 took a{nother} stupid penalty with about 2:20 left.  But, they were
 still hitting MSU, and not skating.  The period ended after Maine
 killed off the penalty without too many problems.

 Now, Maine came out in the third period and did what they should have
 done from the beginning: SKATED!  They stopped hitting MSU and
 started skating around them.  They controlled almost the entire third
 period from start to finish, but they could never put it in the net
 due to Gilmore[sp?] (the MSU goalie), the skill of the defensemen at
 clearing the puck, and a little bit of bad luck.  There were a number
 of break aways and open nets that were missed, but the main reason
 Maine didn't score was Gilmore, who played a marvelous game including
 making many stops when his defense left him hanging out to dry.

 Summary of the game:

   - Gilmore [sp?] was superb in goal for MSU, especially during the
     third period.

   - Norris of MSU finished with 2 goals and 1 assist.  [How did this
     guy get overlooked on the Hobey Baker list?  I understand he was
     just named the CCHA player of the year.]

   - Mason simply out-coached his son-in-law Walsh.  The MSU game plan
     worked perfectly, they were able to take Maine out of their game
     for two periods, and then hold on to their lead (thanks to
     Gilmore) in the third.

   - THE REFEREE IN THE GAME WAS THE PITS!!! [SCHOREE? Or something
     like that I was never sure.]  After calling players for looking
     at him cross-eyed in the first two periods, [Including a 10 minute
     misconduct to Jean-Yves Roy out of the game for ten minutes...
     sending him to the locker room early for the end of the second]
     he then put away the whistle and refused to call anything in the
     third.  [Except for one set of coincidental minors, where he
     seemed to select one at random for Maine.]  There were a number
     of times when the game got very out of hand and the players
     seemed to have little respect for him.  [As evidenced by the Roy
     10 minute misconduct.]

Anyway, there are my tired ramblings for the evening.  Looks as though,
for the third year in a row, the west will win the championship.

Congratulations to MSU and Wisconsin and may they play as well out in
Albany as they did in Providence.

adam