From:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:13:19 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> I too was at this game and I must commend Linda's account and her castigation of BC abd its AD. I was also at the BU game last year that got called on account of unsafe ice conditions, i.e. fog.? The one thing that I would like to add and try to convey is the experience of being there when the lights went out.?? This was a hard fought, back and forth, physical contest and by my account, BC began flagging a bit towartds the end of the 1st period.? To begin the 2nd period, N.D. started strong and at the start of the 2nd minute N.D. was flying down the cie into the BC zone when at 1:08 of the 2nd period, the entire Conte Forum went pitch black.? One second earlier ND skaters were winging over the BC blue line, the next second, ?darkness visible.?It was eerily silent for a bit and then a collective gasp.? Folks took out cell phones for some illumination and then the emergency generator kicked in and the ?emergency lights followed.? It is amazing that no one was hurt and I was
su!
>  rprised that the puck wasn't sitting in the BC net.? I wonder how they would have handled that.
>
> BC has mega millions and needs to spend some of it to correct this.

ND has mega millions too, but our administration does not spend any of
it on building or renovating facilities.  They require such things to be
fully funded by outside donations.  Fortunately, we have a large and
dedicated alumni network, but even then, it's been a struggle to get
badly-needed renovations to both the basketball and the hockey
facilities fully funded.

To the credit of the Joyce Center, as many issues as it may have, even
in the recent warm weather they were able to keep the arena fog-free
(although I thought I saw a little surface melting in the Thursday game
vs. DU).