Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2006 22:39:59 -0500
BRAVO, MARK!

I am getting ornery too in my old age.  I heard some of that same
broadcast, and was disgusted by it.  I also heard last weekend some
University of Minnesota - Duluth announcers (not a school broadcast)
saying that they just wanted to see anyone beat Minnesota (meaning the
Gophers).

Now I am a Gopher fan and have been for over 25 years.  And I will be
the first to say that Holy Cross deserved to win on Friday night.  The
Gophers did not.

For me, I think the broadcasters are just picking up a general behavior
that has been increasing amongst the student body's and fans of each
school.  With each passing year, the students, bands and some of the
fans are getting more and more abusive and disrespectful, and not
behaving in a way that I was brought up to believe was "good
sportsmanship."   I just am not buying it anymore that this kind of
behavior makes a venue "intimidating" to the visiting team and helps
the home team win.  It is just plain and simple disgusting.

For me, if the NCAA REALLY wants to promote in the leagues non-abusive
and hostile themes, maybe they should stop looking at mascots and start
focusing on campus behaviors that are becoming increasingly abusive and
hostile.

Thank you for your thoughts, Mark.

Kathy
Go Gophers!