From:
Doug Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:28:44 -0400
Chris Lerch's article on USCHO is a counterpoint, covering the perjorative
aspect of the name Sioux.  In doing a little research it would appear some
of the descriptions of it being a French derogatory name would seem to
be wrong.  This included the USA Today article quoting one of the tribal
representatives.  I was sort of amused by the blame the French theme
(and yes, I have ancestors from Quebec and France.)

Sioux is the French short / slang version (Nadouessioux) of the
Algonquin-based name (Na:towe:ssiw) given by neighbors of the Sioux,
the Chippewa / Ojibwa / Anishinabe.  As is often the case, one group of
people have not so nice names for other groups of people.  Another
interesting example I saw in the same discussion (and others) was the
term "whiteman".  It appears to be a bad color-based translation for
something more like "taker or stealer of fat".

One resource is: http://spot.colorado.edu/~koontz/faq/etymology.htm

By the way, there are a few exhibition games this weekend and a full slate
of games and tournaments next weekend.

Doug Peterson