Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1992 16:49:48 EST
Erik writes:

>Right now Wisconsin is #6 in the NC$$ poll and #8 in RPICH.  They are the #5
>Western team in both.  If they were to lose the best-of-three first round
>playoff with St Cloud they could possibly drop out of the picture, otherwise
>not.  I doubt they will finish any higher than #4 West or lower than #6 West.
>Remember that playoff games apparently are no more important than regular
>season games in the eyes of the committee.   If the Badgers were to beat both
>Northern Michigan and Minnesota in the WCHA Phinal Phour (if they all get
>there), they could move up.  It seems unlikely that with their record so far
>they would miss making the field.

I disagree.  I think that Wisconsin will make the 12 team NC$$ tourney,
but not by much.  I believe that outside of Alaska-Anchorage there will
be 6 western and 5 eastern teams.  Minnesota and Michigan are a lock.
Northern Michigan, LSSU and Michigan State should be there as long as they
make it past the first round of their conference tournament.  Wisconsin
would be included in this bunch IF Derksen were healthy.  However, a strong
showing by Western Michigan or a suprise winner in either the WCHA or CCHA
tourneys coupled with a not-so-strong showing by Wisconsin would leave the
Badgers at home, IMHO.  I think that Wisconsin needs to finish at least
second in the WCHA tourney to ensure their berth.  I feel that Derksen's
injury plus the fact the NMU are the defending national champs places them
in front of Wisconsin in the eyes of the NC$$ (even though Wisconsin
finished higher in the regular season).

John Haeussler
Univ of Michigan('89,'90)
just a CCHA-head buttin' into WCHA business