From:
Doug Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 07:41:12 -0400
Actually, those who are ghosts (read "dead") only had recruiting
Minnesotans as a philosophy.  It's only the recent living who had it as a
dogma.  When I was attending back in the early 1980's there were at least
three players not from Minnesota playing (Alaska, California, Canada).
Even Mariucci, who started the philosophy to push the development of
hockey in Minnesota, recruited in Canada.  You still need to have a good,
successful program to provide those development opportunities.

Right now the Junior A leagues in Canada have this same issue.
European players (I don't know about U.S. players) are outright banned
with the argument that they cost too much and they are taking
development opportunities away from Canadian players.  I understand the
philosophy, but tend not to agreed with a dogmatic implementation.

Doug Peterson