From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:30:07 -0500
>>> Jennifer McClellan <[log in to unmask]>  02/24/97 06:25pm
>>> My mother asked me to post and find out who the Hobey Baker
>>> winners were for the past 10 years or so, and when the last
>>> winner was from either the WCHA or CCHA.   If someone could
>>> let me know, I'd appreciate it.
>>>
>>> Jennifer
>>>
>>> P.S.  I think she's beginning to worry that there's an eastern
>>> scheme that will deprive Brendan Morrison (-:

Tell your mother not to worry. The Hobey was contrived in Minnesota
and although the selection process is not tilted in the West's favor,
they have managed to garner 10 of 16 in the Hobey's history. In fact,
both the Univ. of Minnesota and Univ. of Minnesota-Duluth have each
individually matched the totals from the other three conferences.

Whether or not that will mean accolades for Morrison remains to be
seen. Jokingly, I'd worry more about Brendan competing with a Minnesotan
rather than an "Eastern" player. Visit the Hobey Site mentioned below
and you'll see that the process contrived by The Decathalon Club in
Bloomington, Minn. is actually quite fair and holds no regional biases.
By the way, the front page of the Hobey Site is currently featuring
Todd White of Clarkson, but from what I understand, this feature is
rotating amongst the prime candidates.

League breakdown of Hobey winners.
WCHA - 7 (UM-3, UMD-3)
CCHA - 3
ECAC - 3 (Harvard - 3)
HockeyEast - 3

Year  Recipient       School
1996  Brian Bonin     University of Minnesota
1995  Brian Holzinger Bowling Green State University
1994  Chris Marinucci University of Minnesota-Duluth
1993  Paul Kariya     University of Maine
1992  Scott Pellerin  University of Maine
1991  David Emma      Boston College
1990  Kip Miller      Michigan State University
1989  Lane MacDonald  Harvard University
1988  Robb Stauber    University of Minnesota
1987  Tony Hrkac      University of North Dakota
1986  Scott Fusco     Harvard University
1985  Bill Watson     University of Minnesota-Duluth
1984  Tom Kurvers     University of Minnesota-Duluth
1983  Mark Fusco      Harvard University
1982  George McPhee   Bowling Green State University
1981  Neal Broten     University of Minnesota

Hobey Home Site ---> http://www.hobeynet.org/
        History ---> http://www.hobeynet.org/history/index.html

- Paul.