From:
"Jennifer L. Iwen" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer L. Iwen
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 01:07:29 -0500
As of Feb. 7, (It's the most recent THN I have.. sorry but they DO cost
$3.25!):

In the NHL:
Paul Kariya, Anaheim            20-29-49, 33 games
Brian Holzinger, Buffalo        15-17-32, 47 games
Scott Pellerin, St. Louis       4-2-6, 20 games
Neal Broten, LA                 0-5-5, 20 games

In the AHL:
David Emma, Providence          4-13-17, 30 games
Robb Stauber, Portland          2.98 gaa, .897 sv, 24 games

In the IHL:
Brian Bonin, Cleveland          8-10-18, 30 games
Kip Miller, Indianapolis        11-43-54, 46 games
Tony Hrkac, Milwaukee           13-40-53, 45 games
Chris Marinucci, Phoenix        11-21-32, 48 games

Miller and Hrkac are the leading scorers for their teams (As of this THN,
anyway).. Kariya
and Holzinger are both second on their teams in scoring. If I recall
correctly, Lane
McDonald ('89) got hurt relatively early in his pro career and retired...
the last I saw of
him was as an announcer during the '92 (?) Olympics.  A friend sent an
article to me about
Bonin's frustration with lack of playing time, and his problems with the
adjustment to pro
hockey... sounds like he's not making the transition very smoothly.
Another interesting stat is to look at the Hobey finalists each year (I'm
compelled by this,
can't you tell? :)  My informal count shows that 32 former finalists
(excluding winners)
had been in the NHL sometime this season, including some very noteable
names: Brian
Leetch, Adam Oates, Norm Maciver, Brian Savage, Brett Hull, John Cullen,
Derek Plante,
Joe Juneau, James Patrick, Tim Sweeney, Brian Wiseman, Brian Rolston, Bryan
Smolinski, Joe Nieuwendyk, Craig Janney, Tony Granato, Anson Carter, Joel
Otto, Rob
Blake, Nelson Emerson, Greg Johnson, Kelly Miller, Mike Grier, Paul
Ranheim, Ted
Drury, Shawn McEachern, Steve Shields, Jay Pandolfo, Jean Yves-Roy,
Dwayne Roloson,
Chris Terreri, and Jon Casey. One is a D I coach (Dave Poulin) and one is
a professional
baseball player (or was anyway), Kirk McCaskill. 6 are in the AHL, and 5
in the IHL.

 A side note: 17 NHL teams have a former college player among their top 5
scorers, and 8
of those are the top scorer on their team (Oates, Plante, Amonte, Weight,
Mellanby,
Leclair, Tkachuk, and Hull).. just thought that was interesting :)