From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 16:31:28 -0400
Despite not really having the time, I went through the 1995-96
edition of the Sporting News Complete Hockey Book.  Below are all the
goalies who played college hockey who were listed that I found.  It
only includes players who played in the NHL in 1994-95, are listed on
NHL rosters, or are top prospects.

All information is through the 1994-95 season.

> Mike Bales (Cn) - Ohio State

Played for three years at Ohio State (1989-92).  Has played in one
regular season game in the NHL.

> Ed Belfour (Cn) - North Dakota

Played for one year at UND (1986-87) before turing pro. Has played 332
regular season and 59 playoff games in the NHL.

> John Blue (US) - Minnesota

Played for three years at Minnesota (1984-87).  Has played 41 regular
season and one playoff game in the NHL.

> Jim Carey (US) - Wisconsin

Played for two years at Wisconsin (1992-94) before turning pro.
Played 28 regular season and 7 playoff games in the NHL.  Also played
55 games for Portland (AHL) last year.

> Jon Casey (US) - North Dakota

Played for four years at UND (1980-84).  Has played in 401 regular
season and 54 playoff games in the NHL.

> Parris Duffus (US) - Cornell

Played for two years at Cornell before turning pro (1990-92).
Currently in the IHL and has not yet played in the NHL.

> Mike Dunham (US) - Maine

Played for three years at Maine (1990-93).  Currently in the AHL and
has not yet played in the NHL.

> Bob Essensa (Cn) - Michigan State

Played for four years at MSU (1983-87).  Has played 294 regular
season and 13 playoff games in the NHL.

> Glenn Healy (US) - Western Michigan

Played for four years at WMU (1981-85).  Has played in 305 regular
season and 36 playoff games in the NHL.

>> Guy Hebert (US) - Hamilton College (Div II)

Played four years at Hamilton College (1985-89).  Has played 128
regular season and one playoff game in the NHL.

> Aaron Israel (US) - Harvard

Played for two years at Harvard (1992-1994) before turing pro.  Has
not yet played in the NHL.

> Curtis Joseph (US) - Wisconsin

Played for one year at Wisconsin (1988-89) before turning pro.  Has
played in 250 regular season and 34 playoff games in the NHL.

> Les Kuntar (US) - St. Lawrence

Played for four years at SLU (1987-91).  Has played 6 regular season
NHL games.  Currently in the AHL.

> Scott LaGrand (US) - Boston College

Played for three years at BC (1989-92).  Currenlty in the AHL.  Has
not yet played in the NHL.

> Blaine Lacher (Cn) - Lake Superior State

Played for three years at LSSU (1991-94).  Played 35 regular season
and 5 playoff games in the NHL.

> Neil Little (Cn) - RPI

Played four years at RPI (1990-1994).  Has not yet played in the NHL

> Darrin Madeley (Cn) - Lake Superior

Played three years at LSSU (1989-1992).  Has played 39 regular season
NHL games.

> Jason Muzzatti (Cn) - Michigan State

Played four years at MSU (1987-91).  Has played 2 regular season NHL
games.

> Mike O'Neil (Cn) - Yale

Played four years at Yale (1985-89).  Has played 20 regular season NHL
games.

> Frank Pietrangelo (Cn) - Minnesota: A CANADIAN on the Gophers!!

Played for four years (1982-86) at Minnesota.  Has played 141 regular
season and 12 playoff games in the NHL.

> Darren Puppa  (Cn) - RPI

Played for two years at RPI (1983-85) then turned pro.  Has played 322
regular season and 12 playoff games in the NHL.

> Bruce Racine (Cn) - Northeastern

Played four years at Northeastern (1984-88).  Currently in the AHL.
HAs never played in the NHL.

> Jamie Ram (Cn) - Michigan Tech

Played for four years for Michigan Tech (1990-94). Played 26 regular
season and 11 playoff games for Binghamton (AHL) last year.

> Damian Rhodes (US) - Michigan Tech

Played for three years at Michigan Tech (1987-90).  Has played  36
regular season and one playoff game in the NHL.

> Mike Richter (US)  - Wisconsin

Played for two years at Wisocnsin (1985-87) before joining the Olympic
team and then turning pro.  Has played in 250 regular season games and
50 playoff games in the NHL.

> Chris Rogles (US) - Clarkson

Played for four years at Clarkson (1989-93).  Currently in the IHL.
Has not played in tyhe NHL.

> Dwayne Roloson (Cn) - UMass Lowell

Played four years at UML (1990-94).  Currently in the AHL.  Has not
played in the NHL.

> Geoff Sarjeant (Cn) - Michigan Tech

Played four years at Michigan Tech (1988-92).  Has played 4 regular
season NHL games.

> Steve Shields (Cn) - Michigan

Played four years at Michigan (1990-94).  Has not played in the NHL.

> Garth Snow (US) - Maine

Played four years for Maine 1988-93.  Has played 7 regular season and
one playoff game in the NHL.

> Christian Soucy (Cn) - Vermont

Played two yeras at Vermont (1991-93) before turing pro.  Has played
one regular seaon NHL game.

> Robb Stauber (US) - Minnesota

Played for three years at Minnesota (1986-89).  Has played 62 regular
season and 4 playoff games in the NHL.

> Chris Terreri (US) - Providence

Played for four years at Providence College (1982-86).  Has played 264
regular season and 27 playoff games in the NHL.

That is 33 former college goalies out of how many who played over the
last ten yeras?  200? 300? 400?  Certainly not that many out of the
total number who played goalie in college.

Furthermore, out of the 33 players listed above, I only consider 10 of
them to have made it in the NHL, with the jury still out on Jim Carey
and Blaine Lacher.

There also have been other college goalies in the pros who either no
longer play, or were not listed.  Mike Luit (St. Louis?), Tom Draper
(Vermont), John Bradley (BU), Terry Taillefer (BU), Cleon Daskalakis
(BU) and Scott Gorden (BC) are a few who played have played pro
hockey.  from this group only Mike Luit made it in the NHL, although
Tom Draper also played some games in the NHL.

Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan Tech lead the way, as each has 3
former goalies on the list.  North Dakota, Maine, Michigan State, Lake
Superior and Rensselaer follow, as each has 2 former golaies on the
list.  Fourteen schools each have one former goalie listed.

I'll leave it up to others to gather statistics for the current
season, if anyone wants to.

Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Go Terriers  1995 NCAA, Hockey East and Beanpot Champions
BU Hockey:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html
The Bedford Flag:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/flag.html
But I Digress:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/bid.html