From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 1996 17:35:05 EST
I agree with most of Geoff's comments about the US team.  As I posted earlier,
I thought Ben Clymer was a stand-out.  Minnesota has got a real stablilizer
coming in next year.  Goeff is quite right that he wasn't flashy.  He played
excellent positionally, and I think he has great upside potential.  I think the
reason he wasn't more involved in the offense was a product of his young age.
With some additional experience and a little more weight he should become a
very classy defenseman.

I don't agree with Geoff about Berard.  A lot of his lackadaisical play was the
result of his heavy ice time and the burden he was carrying trying to light a
fire under the offense.  Berard stepped up on almost offensive rush, no other
d seemed to have enough confidence to get into the offensive flow.  Berard also
has the strength to punish, and tak a whack in return.

I share Goeff's appraisal of the US offense--Reasoner was the only guy I
thought much of either.  What's the deal with Tom Poti?  I thought he has been
crowned the stud in waiting.  He showed absolutely nothing in the Jr. Worlds,
which I imagine didn't enamor Mr. Parker.

One other observation: I thought Sweden played a different game against Canada
than the ones against the US and what I saw of the Czech game.  Against Canada
they seemed to be more offense-minded, allowing a lot of Canadian counter-
attacks.  Particularly against the Americans, Sweden played smothering defense,
but either they couldn't, or opted to open up their defense against the
Canadians.  The first Canadian goal was a direct result of Sweden allowing both
of its defensemen to pinch, and having the puck dribble into the center ice
and swallowed up by the guy whose name starts with an L (sorry, I can't imagine
how it's spelled.)

It was also nice seeing what a controlled role-type player Jason Botterill
assumed in order to gain his third gold.  He gave up his offense for the team,
which is a trait that many players about to enter the NHL would consider.  He's
quite a story.
Brian Morris                    RPI--It's a new year