From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Dec 1994 10:22:40 -0700
The following is reprinted from Today's Edmonton Journal.  Article is by
Mark Spector.

CANADA DOWNS SWEDEN

        Till we meet again, old friend.
        Team Canada and Team Sweden shook hands Friday after closing out
this pre-tournament get together, knowing that the next time they meet it
could be a much more memorable occasion.
        "We just hope we're sitting here at the end of the tournament
playing for the gold medal," said a gracious Canadian assistant coach
Mike Johnston after a 5-3 win over Sween.
        "Sweden was a good team, as they've always been."
        Sweden has become Canada's hottest international rival since the
demise of the Soviet Union, and after contesting an Olympics and last
year's world junior, the pair will meet next in the final game of this
year's world junior tournament Jan. 4 in Red Deer.
        "We'll be ready by then," said Calgary draft Jesper Mattsson, who
probably logged 35 minutes of ice time Friday along with linemate Niklas
Sundstrom.
        "This game was only our second game here on the smaller ice
surface.  The ref was on their side tonight."
        The only edge Team Canada had Friday was a full-house crowd of
3000 at the brand new Crystal Gardens, [in Grande Prairie] and the fans
were treated to some lightning fast hockey until the teams ran out of
steam in the third period.
        "We played competitive, tough," said Sweden assistant Jan-Ake
Danielsson.
        "It was clear the difference was that the Canadian team used
their scoring chances better.  We had as many--come the tournament.  I
think we score on those opportunities.
        Sweden beat Canada goalie Jamie Storr three times in the first
period for a 3-2 lead, but then Storr shut the door, likely earning
himself the starting assignment for Canada's next game, the tournament
opener against the Ukraine Monday night in Red Deer.
        Jeff O'Neill finished off a pair of 2x1's for Canada, while
Alexandre Daigle, Jason Botterill and Jeff Friesen also scored.  Peter
Stromm, Dick Tarnstrom and Andreas Karlsson scored for the Swedes, who
threw their weight around with Canada.
        "We don't scare these guys," Mattsson said.
        "They try to scare us.  We think it's funny when they are calling
us chickens and all that.  We don't talk--we just play hockey."
        Not well enough here in Grande Prairie however.
        Sweden lost both games, dropping its opener 3-0 to Finland, a
team the Canadians beat 4-1 in winning two games to take the Northern
Lights Tournament.
        "This is not bad for us, losing two games," Mattsson said.
        "We were better tonight than in the last game."
        Sweden opens against a softy, playing Germany on Boxing Day.
END OF ARTICLE

I think Mark Spector, and the rest of us, should factor in the Czechs and
Americans into the tournament equation.

In another score last night the Russians beat Germany 10-0 at Spruce Grove.

Arthur Berman  [log in to unmask]
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HOLIDAY GREETINGS TO ALL ON HOCKEY-L!!!