From:
Carla McAllister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carla McAllister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2019 12:03:24 -0400
I am curious if any of your libraries once had fines but now do not. If so,
have you got a guilt jar? What has your experience revealed to you about
fines in general.? Do you find that patrons who were repeat offenders
fine-wise are returning to the library now that they don't have to feel
guilty about owing fines and perhaps not being able to pay said fines? Just
any observations or comments you could make around this subject would be of
interest to me. I know I loathe asking people to pay fines and I really
wonder what the positive outcome(s) of collecting fines are. There has been
a lot of talk around this subject of late and I am not a believer in fines
buy I want data to back up my feelings about collecting fines.

Five cents a day is a small amount, but it can add up. I actually think
collecting fines is off-putting to patrons.

Thoughts?

Carla McAllister

Assistant Librarian

New Gloucester Public Library