From:
Kiya Seigle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2019 11:56:02 -0400
There is a great memoir by Kate Braestrup that he might enjoy. It's
called Here If You Need Me.

 From Goodreads:

When the oldest of Kate Braestrup's four children was ten years old,
her husband, a Maine state trooper, was killed in a car accident.
Stunned and grieving, she decided to pursue her husband's dream of
becoming a Unitarian minister, and eventually began working with the
Maine Game Warden Service, which conducts the state's search and
rescue operations when people go missing in the wilderness.

Whether she is with parents whose 6-year-old daughter has wandered
into the woods, or wardens as they search for a snowmobile rider gone
under ice, or a man whose sister left an infant seat and a suicide
note in her car by the side of the road, Braestrup provides solace,
comfort, and spiritual guidance when it's needed most. And she comes
to discover that giving comfort is both a high calling and a precious
gift.

In her account of her own life and the events of her unusual job,
sometimes joyful, sometimes heartbreaking, Braestrup is warm,
unsentimental ("No one is immune to the Plucky Widow story!" she
acknowledges), and generous. Here If You Need Me is a funny, frank,
and deeply moving story of faith and hope.

Quoting Carla McAllister <[log in to unmask]>:

> I have a patron who likes books about game wardens, fishermen, law
> enforcement and the like, preferably in Maine but others may be OK. Series
> are especially enjoyed. He has read Coffin, Doiron, Boyle, Tapply and Craig.
> I have looked for readalikes on different sites and not found much. Does
> anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? He is an older gentleman and
> probably would not cotton to anything too egregiously violent or profane.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Carla McAllister
>
> Assistant Librarian
>
> New Gloucester Public Library