From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2017 01:38:54 -0400
This was mine FWIW

Fargo
1 Denver - 16 MichTech
8 Union - 10 NoDak

Cincinnati
2 UMD - 15 OSU
6 WMich - 12 AF

Providence
3 Harvard - 14 PC
7 BU - 9 PSU

Manchester
4 Minn - 13 NDame
5 Lowell - 11 Cornell

Deviations from bracket integrity include: North Dakota in Fargo as host thus BU gets Penn State instead; WMU to Cincinnati and BU to Providence for attendance; Cornell to Manchester for attendance instead of USAFA (also not that I considered it, but Cornell avoids a flight, and Air Force being Air Force and not Bus Force, they're flying anyway).

PC IMO is an easy decision to go to Providence because they match up cleanly with Harvard (14 vs 3). The fact that they are local also helps, although there's no real need to change any of the 1 seed vs 4 seed matchups anyway. If there was, for example if 3 Harvard was say 3 BU instead, I'd have no problem moving them. In short I'm not keeping them there because they're in Providence, I'm keeping them there because they match up cleanly with 3 Harvard and there's no need to move any of the other 4 seeds.

A bigger question to me is should the overall No. 1 (DU) be "protected" by keeping them away from what will be effectively a road game should they and NoDak advance. This wouldn't have been an issue if NoDak had dropped to a 4 seed. Then neither of the top 2 could have been put in the nearest site (DU & UMD). One would have had to go East and the other to Cincinnati. I tend to think that seeing as the two teams aren't meeting in the first round (and couldn't in this case), then they stay where they normally would go. If it does end up this way and if DU-NoDak meet in the regional final and NoDak wins, this issue will get more attention.

It's still interesting to me that even after each team has played 40 or so games, and well over a thousand played overall, the last one or two games played tonight could have still had such an impact on who gets in as well as where teams are seeded, even aside from questions of auto bids knocking out at-large contenders. PSU-Wis didn't just affect whether or not OSU got in, it impacted the last No. 1 seed which could be a factor if Minn & Lowell meet (i.e. last change).

In short, there's a number of considerations here as always, and one thing I've noted over the years is that as the makeup of the committee changes, you don't know for certain how the members are going to place emphasis on the various competing factors. I think you can certainly make the case for a number of variations from the various projections as well as the one the committee will come up with.
---
Mike Machnik
Merrimack Radio / College Hockey News