From:
Jason Adam Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Adam Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 1994 10:40:53 +0000
As an ardent Maine fan, I've been avidly watching the point-forfeiture
imbroglio for some time, and I must admit to mixed feelings.  They are not,
however, what one might expect from a Mainiac.  First let me say that I
whole-heartedly agree with HE's decision to take points away from Maine;
breaking the rules requires that the offender(s) to be punished.  However, I
have to wonder at the idea of awarding the points to PC.  Should they be
rewarded for Maine's actions?  I understand what Steve said:

>The rules state that the games are recorded as 1-0 victories for
>Providence, with Providence receiving 2 points for each victory.

Perhaps that is the rule, but did PC actually EARN those points?  How much of
an effect did Jeff Tory actually have in those games, anyway?  What is the
likelihood that PC would have won if he hadn't played?  Don't get me wrong;
I'm not saying that Maine shouldn't lose the points, but rather that PC
shouldn't gain them.  It seems that that the rest of HE is being implicitly
penalized for Maine's actions:  PC reaps an unearned reward and, at the end
of the season, may end up with home ice in the HE Tourney against a team that
had nothing whatsoever to do with the entire situation.  The current rule may
be just as Steve quoted (although I recall a fairly recent round of postings
regarding the problematic nature of forfeiture rules), but does that make it
right?  If the rule was set in stone then why did the HE AD's have their
meeting, anyway?  Maine didn't deny their actions;  were the rule set in
stone the points should have been awarded to PC regardless of the opinions of
eight men sitting around a table.  That group of eight ought to have done the
right thing, not the "rule" thing.

 |   \ /   |   Jason A. Pierce
 |M A I N E|   University of Maine, '93       [log in to unmask]
 |B L A C K|   University of St Andrews, '94          [log in to unmask]
 |B E A R S|            (hopefully!)
 |  |\ /|  |              M - A - I - N - E  Go... BLUE!!!