From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1993 11:05:00 PST
Greg Sorenson writes...
>Bob writes:
>>Its nice to go to an opposing rink and be treated
>>like we were at LSSU.
>
>I'd have to concur: Laker fans are some of the most
>gracious, pleasant, yet spirited fans I've ever seen.
> I was in the Soo for a game vs. MSU last year, and
> you'd never know they were the defending national
> champions by the way the fans behaved. The "boat
>anchors" let their team do the talking, which is a
>refreshing change from, say, Yost Arena.

I disagree.  LSSU is my favorite road trip, but certainly not due to the
graciousness of the hosts.  Last season was particularly bad.  Not only were
several of the fans obnoxious, but they let us know in no uncertain terms
that they were the defending national champs.

Of course, this doesn't apply to all Laker fans.  Each arena has a few folks
who are more outspoken or obnoxious than the rest, and that is what visiting
fans remember.

That said, I agree with Greg that there's some talking done at Yost, but
none more than other CCHA arenas.  Ironically, I think the worst fan base is
at Munn (Michigan State).  Munn is the only arena where I've actually been
struck by a group of opposing fans simply for wearing a Michigan sweatshirt.
 There also tends to be a lot of skirmishes there in the parking lot after
the game, which is ridiculous.  Again, the "a few bad apples" analogy
applies, because the Hockey-L'ers I know from MSU (Glen Keeney, Scott
Preadmore, Jeff Gilbert to name a few) are a fine bunch of gents.  (They
just support the wrong team. :-)

The fans who are rude to visitors reflect poorly on themselves, not the rest
of the arena.

>All in all, if any of you get the chance to see a game
> in the Soo, jump all over it! Good hockey, Killian's on
> tap for $1 at the Downtowner, and Tim Horton's across
> the river...what more could you ask for?

Don't forget the Antlers...a great post-game hangout near the water.  I
concur with Greg, if you have a chance to see an LSSU game at the Norris
Center, do it.  If you're there for a weekend series, you may even have a
chance to see the Soo Greyhounds (OHL) on Saturday afternoon.  And if your
team should happen to lose (which most visitors do), stick around and watch
the Lakers charge out of the lockeroom, through the arena and into the
parking lot to ring the victory bell.  Yeah, it can be annoying as hell
after you've just lost, but it's a great local tradition.

  John H
   U Mich

P.S.  As a whole, the Laker fans were very passive when I was there earlier
this year.  Michigan jumped to an early lead and it seemed to take the crowd
out of the game.

P.S.S.  Last year at LSSU, as we were returning to Michigan from Ontario on
Saturday afternoon, we went through the usual customs stop.  I expected the
standard "Where are you from, how long were you in Canada, do you have
anything (purchases) to declare?"  Instead, when I answered "Ann Arbor" to
the first question that triggered a whole series of questions.  When asked
for the purpose of our visit, my friend and I replied "To see Michigan sweep
Lake State."  (Michigan had won the Friday game, then lost Saturday night.)
 Wrong answer.  More questions.  It turns out, the customs guy was a Lake
Superior graduate.  :-)