From:
"Terry A. May" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry A. May
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1993 10:49:11 -0700
     I was fortunate to be able to accompany our club team to the
University of Colorado this past weekend for games on Friday & Saturday
nights.  We split with CU 7-6 on Friday & 7-9 on Saturday.

     Fr  1 - 2 - 3 - Final    Sa  1 - 2 - 3 - Final
     NAU 2   2   3   7        NAU 1   2   4   7
     CU  0   5   1   6        CU  4   3   2   9

     Both games were physical & hard fought.  The officials called
consistent games but were more lenient on Friday thus resulting in chippier
play by both teams.  NAU slipped out of their game for at least a period in
each game (2nd on Fr & 1st on Sa).  We came back both times, even to tie at
7 after being down on Sat. 7-1 (we switched goalies at that point).  We
feel this showed character and were pleased - the winning goal was a fluke
which went off one of our own players.

     All here are looking forward to our trip east to Navy, Towson, and
Delaware on Jan 13-16.  Contact me directly if anyone is interested in
times or locations.

     We are playing at the Div. II level in ACHA this year and hope to be
considered in rankings which should be out soon for Div. II teams.  The
playoffs, I believe, are scheduled for March 8 in Albany.

     For those interested, all Club teams are listed in a recent issue of
USA Hockey - it is a very good listing of teams, contacts, etc.

     As for the Arizona Icecats - The team is a club team, but it is my
understanding they are NOT affiliated as a club with the University of
Arizona.  Leo Golembowski (I'm not sure of the spelling) has coached and
organized the club team for many years.  He has organized the club as a
non-profit organization & manages all expenses/revenues through that
entity.  I have not met him personally, but understand he is an interesting
personality.  As such, the University has distanced themselves from his
organization; hence they are called the Arizona Icecats & not the UA
Wildcats, for example.  Attendance is great due to the fact they have a
wonderful organ, sell beer, etc.  Leo apparently only "recruits" USA
players & have been told they skate onto the ice to "Born in the USA".
Tucson would definitely support a Division I team, but I doubt that will
every happen, because the University has limited influence over the Icecats
& would have a difficult time competing.  With the great revenues
generated, they pay for travel of club teams from away.  I suspect the team
would be very competitive with many Div. I teams - they are enjoyable and
have a great following.

     Terry-