From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1993 02:23:03 -0500
One night back in late 1987, the Boston University Hockey Team was losing.
Unfortunately, during that time period, this was nothing new.
On top of the game going badly, the less than capacity crowd was silent,
sitting on their hands.

One sophomore hockey fan saw the game going badly, looked around at the
lifeless fans, and decided something had to be done...

This sophomore, David Roach, with the urging of his friends, walked down to the
front of the crowd, and began to scream at the crowd, "Hey everybody!!! <pause>
Gimme a "T" <throwing each arm out to the side to form a `T'>  Gimme an "E"..."
and so on to spell out T-E-R-R-I-E-R-S.  The response was mediocre, but good
enough to encourage him to do it again another night.

Unfortunately, the game was lost, but a tradition was born!

By David "Roachman" Roach's senior year, BU's luck had turned around as BU
upset #1 ranked Michigan State at Mich St. to make it to the Final Four in Joe
Louis Arena, Detroit.  David was most noted this year for leading a group of
apx 100 students on an overnight drive (caravan) out to Michigan State after
BU had lost the first game of the 3-game series.  Their arival at the players'
hotel when the team was waiting in the parking lot (surprising the players as
to the craziness of this caravan of fans) is well-noted by many as being what
really gave BU the spark to come back against Michigan State.

After this, the position was legendary.

When Dave was done with school, many people wondered what would happen at the
games.  This was answered when Dave cerimonially placed his hat on the head of
Brian Brewer, a.k.a "The Ogre."  Brian now led the cheer and the crowd for the
next two years.  Chants of "Ogre - Seive" now permeated Walter Brown Arena and
the position became referred to as "The Ogre."

After Brian graduated, people again wondered what would become of the position,
who would replace him.

In the first game of the next season, I, Tony Biscardi, was named the new Ogre,
a position I held for one year until I graduated in 1993.

As Ogre, you are looked to to get the crowd going when the game is going bad.
I even led groups of fans at the Beanpot to serenade the BC band, taunt
opposing fans, and organizing drives to road trips when a bus is unavailable.

In the first game this year, I named my replacement as the tradition has
continued and grown.

The position of "Ogre" has become a tradition at Boston University with John
<impossible last name> the newest one.  When he graduates, he will, of course,
name his replacement as the tradition continues.

I hope this answers the question of "What is the "Ogre"?"

Tony BU'92'93
Former Ogre
<and proud of it>