From:
Roger L Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger L Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1993 17:56:48 +0000
John has already posted the boxes and his comments, so I'l just add
my observations:

FRIDAY: (MICH 4, OSU 3)
The Buckeyes came out hard and anxious to prove that they can play
against better hockey teams.  IMHO, Michigan came out soft.  Very
soft.  The Michigan team that showed up Friday night seemed full of
freshmen unsure of how to pass and work together as a team.  It's
not that they played *bad*, but they seemed "off."  Passes weren't
hiting, the defense was very questionable, and they just didn't play
like an undefeated hockey team.

The comeback was impressive, however.  By the third period they seem
to somewhat find themselves and got the job done.  Gordon was
impressive in the net, as John said, but let some weak shots go in.
I do agree with John in that I would choose Gordon over Shields, and
I think Gordon has gotten bad luck at Michigan -- over the past few
years it has always seemed that the Defense does not play hard in
front of Gordon, or at least not as hard as they do in front of
Shields.  Hence, Gordon has to do more of the work himself.

SATURDAY: (MICH 5, OSU 1)
Tonight, the Maize and Blue fans were all exhausted from the 28-0
football game, but the hockey was a little faster paced and the
hitting was much more pronounced.  Ohio State came out with a little
less fire, and anything they had was quenched when Ryan Sittler
scored merely 9 seconds into the game.

Most noticable to me, however, was that the Michigan players seemed
to have a hard time passing the puck.  The passes were not sharp,
and it seemed as if everyone out there _didn't_want_ to pass the
puck.  Yes, a team full of puck hogs.  On the power play, passes
were to the point were nonexistent--except for the one that Oliver
one-timed past Askey for Michigan's second goal.  Anton Fedorov,
most noticably, seemed to want to showcase his skating ability, but
forgot about the puck.

This weekend, the Michigan teamed showed just how young it is and
just how much work they need to do.

These are *my* opinions, of course.  Have a Great Thanksgiving!
roger :)

Roger L. Spurgeon                 [log in to unmask]   |_  \    /  _|
Michigan Engineering `94                                 | \ \  / / |
MICHIGAN HOCKEY    9-0-1! SHIELDS TIES NCAA WIN RECORD  _| | \  / | |_
DETROIT RED WINGS  OSGOOD CONTINUES TO MAKE THE SAVES!  |__|  \/  |__|
DETROIT TIGERS     FOR LO, THE WINTER IS HERE.........     Go Blue!
"Why is it we can put men on the moon
 but we can't put metal in the microwave?"          -Dr. Frasier Crane