From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1993 12:42:00 PST
Just my 'pin-yuns, so delete now if your not interested in the BG
discussion.  :-)

Regarding the polls, BG was non-existent in almost every pre-season poll so
even though they have made probably the most significant jump in the nation,
they have only jumped into the middle of the top 10.  I imagine almost any
voter would have an "egg on the face" feel if a team went from NR to #1 in
1-2 weeks.  And Petrie is still an unknown commodity.  At the moment he
looks like God's gift to goaltending, but all one has to say is Angelo
Libertucci...

Lake Superior has not fallen far because they started high, and justifiably
belong in the top four or five, even with the two early losses.  Some voters
are also looking at the fact that LSSU is operating without their starting
goaltender, Blaine Lacher, the 1993 CCHA Championship MVP.

Here are my thoughts, both pre-season and current, on BG:

PRE-SEASON
I picked the Falcons to finish fourth in the CCHA (and that raised a lot of
eyebrows).  Holzinger and Pronger are blue chip forwards that can carry a
team a long way.  I'm also impressed with the defensive core of Wells,
Reirden, Carper, Ackerman and Mears.  As a unit, I feel that they are
underrated.

The goaltending situation was a ?, but I figured Clarke could handle the
work and get some help from this hotshot freshman.

I only gave the Falcons a slim outside shot at making the NC$$ tourney
because, although I truly believe they belong in the top four, I didn't
think they could stay with LSSU, Michigan and Michigan State over the course
of a 30-34 game season and I'm only counting on three CCHA berths in the
NC$$.

I also took a cheap shot at departing senior Brett Harkins, saying the
team's work ethic would improve with his departure.

CURRENTLY
BG has surprised almost everyone, including myself even though I was
impressed with them before the season began.  As I see it there are 2-3 keys
to look at right now:
  1. BG is winning without Holzinger playing out of his mind.  In fact,
Brian is having a sub-par season, statistically.  This bodes well for the
Falcons, because they will be much more dangerous if Holzinger takes
command.
  2.-3. Petrie is shining in goal and the team defensive scheme seems to be
solid.  Breakdowns amid the defensemen or their freshmen goaltender would
hurt this team, but at the moment they are the toughest to crack in the
CCHA.  The only way to tell if they can sustain this for 40 games is to wait
and see.

As for Harkins and the work ethic...maybe I was right.  :-)

  John H
  U Mich