From:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1993 15:57:44 -0400
> I like this trend, etc...

In the very long term, I think historical and social
forces are on the colleges' side, as well. Since the
choice for most of these guys is whether or not
they want a college degree when their playing days
are over at age 22, I expect them (and their parents)
to be more and more attracted to the colleges. It
can only help that the pro game is "softening"
towards the less goonish college style, and also
that the college guys who have succeeded are
helping eliminate the perception of college kids as,
well, college kids.

I would bet that 10-20 years out, we'll be seeing
substantial competition from Canadian colleges
and universities for the best talent. It's odd, when
you think of it, that they aren't better than they are.

I think it's an overstatement to say that collegians
are making a "vital" contribution right now. Ask
yourself this: beyond Stevens, Leetch, Oates,
Chelios, and Hull, are any of the other top
50-or-so NHL players ex-college players? But in
a way it's even more indicative that the college
ranks are starting to become a legitimate force that
their alums in the NHL are *not* just a few blue
chippers, but a substantial number of second-tier
players like Nieuwendyk and Juneau who, though
certainly replaceable, are still quite solid.

Greg
Boston
Let's Go Red!