From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1993 11:04:53 EDT
Brian wrote (in part)...
>Greg has converted one of my between-seasons-pass-the doldrums-post into an
>interesting issue.
>
>>Here's what I meant. You fire a pass to me from
>>our defensive zone (behind our blue line). The
>>puck crosses into our offensive zone (beyond their
>>blue line), then I cross (on-side) and pick it up.
>>Old rules: fine. New rules: illegal. Or so I think.
>>True or false?
>
>Under the "new rules" I also believe the player is off-sides.  A player has to
>establish his stick with the puck in the neutral area prior prior to proceeding
>into the offensive zone.  (I know I shouldn't be trying a rule intrepretation.)

   Rule 6 Sections 30 and 32 of the 1993 NCAA Ice Hockey rule book deals
   with offsides.  Offsides has nothing to do with touching the puck in
   the neutral zone.  It deals only with the position of offensive
   player's skates when the puck enters the offensive zone.

Due to the incredible vastness of the subject (line) of this mail
thread, I'll take the opportunity to change subject (a lot).  :-)

Rule 6 Section 31 deals with passes and possession of the puck.  Part c
reads as follows:

   c. The last player to control the puck shall be deemed to be in
      possession.  Rebounds off the goalkeeper's pad or other equipment
      shall not be considered as a change of possession or the
      completion of the play by the team when applying Rule 4-9-b
      (Calling of Penalties).

This explains to me why assists are given on "rebound goals", but not
why SOME scorers fail to give such assists.  Similarly, SOME officials
will whistle a play dead (on a delayed penalty) when a goalie deflects a
shot to the corner.  Yet this rule seems to specifically say play should
continue.  Maybe I'm dreaming as other unseen events have caused the
call (non-award of assist or stoppage of play).  What do you think?

cheers,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]