From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1993 09:20:28 EDT
Andre Aubut was Maine's first All-American and remains Maine's all-time
favorite hockey player.  Andre joined the Maine hockey team in its
second year of play about 15 years ago and led the change to Division I
play.

About two weeks ago Andre was seriously injured in a neighborhood hockey
tournament.  It seems he was on a 2-on-1 break.  His shot went wide, but
rebounded off the boards back toward him.  He stepped on the puck and
fell forward into the boards, striking his back and neck.  Andre remains
paralyzed in a Montreal hospital.

I invite you to send Andre a card or letter;  his address may be found
near the end of this article.

The following is a Guest Column in yesterday's Bangor Daily News ...
(my comments on indented lines)

Family of Andre Aubut could use our help  by Jack Semler

As Andre Aubut's former coach, I am writing to ask for your help.  When
I heard that Andre had been badly injured, I went up to see him (at the
hospital).

I think we have all had the experience of being with someone who is
seriously hurt or ill -- it can be shocking.  When I had talked to Andre
on the phone the night before visiting him, I had a different picture in
my mind, but learned from my visit that the politeness and strength I
heard on the phone was just a supreme effort that people like Andre make
no matter what the circumstances.

I left the hospital thinking, "Why Andre?"  If you knew him, you'd know
what a special kid he is.

Those of us who do know him know what I'm talking about.

When Robert Lafleur told me that Andre and Manon were already trying to
sell Andre's truck and their house, that was all I needed to hear to
know that this wasn't because there were stairs in the house.

   (Robert Lafleur played at Maine with Andre as a stand-out forward.
    Robert is best of friends with the Aubut family, and has been
    keeping friends in the Orono area updated on the situation).

   (Andre's business is constructing houses).

Let's think back to when we were in our early 30s with two children
(ages 5, 7).  I'm in my late 40s with a young family and I don't know
what I would do if all of a sudden there was no money coming in.

For a young couple to take on a huge debt or lose what equity they have
built up would set them back forever.

I know that Andre and Manon could use our help.  Will you send what you
can spare to them?

My check has already been mailed.  Will you please join in and help with
any contribution you can make no matter how big or small.

Please send your contribution to:

Andre & Manon Aubut
6 Place Ligny
Lorraine, Quebec  J6Z 4J4

Thank you very much for your help.

P.S. The good news is Andre is moving his left arm.

   (end of article)

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]