From:
James Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1993 10:23:21 EST
        Brian Morris wrote:
"Why did Harvard start Aaron Israel instead of Tripp Tracy?  Maybe Tomasson
(sp?) was trying to save Tracy for Saturday night, but I think a coach needs to
go with his best goaltender throughout the playoffs--a rotation just doesn't
work.  Can anyone remember who the #2 goalie was to Billy Smith when the
Islanders won all those Stanley Cups?"

        I am confused as to why people are criticizing Tomasson's decision to
go with Isreal against Clarkson.  Tracy is, arguably, one of the best keepers
to enter as a freshman in recent memory, however Aaron Isreal is no slouch
either.  Considering the fact that both keepers are freshmen, along with the fact that Harvard virtually secured a bid in the NC$$ with it`s superb regular
season play, I think it was a very wise move (for the future) for Tomasson to
give both of his freshman goaltenders a chance for post-season play.

        At least now Harvard has a feeling of how Isreal will play in the NC$$
if neccessary.  Also note that Tracy had a save % of .907, Isreal had a save %
of .905.  Anyone who can ignore a goalie of Isreal's capabilities and would
not give him the opportunity for post season play would actually be ignorant.

        And by the way, a good #2 man is always good to have. Jeff Hostettler
led the Giants to a superbowl.  Steve Young was the NFL MVP.  And that number two goalie for the Islanders was Chico Resch or Roland Melanson.