From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1993 16:00:46 EST
In a wonderful Sunday afternoon match at Bright Hockey Center, Harvard
played one of its best games of the season to upset the Tigers of
Princeton.  The game was evenly played, with up and down the ice
action most of the game.  I felt Princeton was the more talented
team, but the Crimson managed to pull out a victory.

In the first period, the Tigers, also known as "The Maidens of Pain",
opened the scoring when Lisa Mancke (Kathy Issel) scored a short-handed
goal.  The play was made possible by the skating and intelligent
passing of Issel, who is a very talented player.  The second period
was scoreless.  In the third period, Harvard tied the game up on a
power play goal by Francie Walton (Holly Leitzes, Jo-anne Alissi).
The pair of Leitzes and Alissi have developed a good understanding
for each other on the power play.  They set up numerous chances with
their thoughtful touches.  Stacy Kellogg (Alissi, Leitzes) won the
game for the Crimson, late in the game, when she poked home a re-
bound off a shot from the left point.  The Tigers tried hard to tie
up the match, but Harvard hung on for the victory.

Princeton played a good match.  In some ways I think they had caught
Harvard's illness of overconfidence coming into this contest.  The
line of Shari Seibert, Sophie Caronello and Whitney Rogers played a
strong game, creating a number of scoring plays.  Mancke and Issel
along with linemate Mari Fukuda were also buzzing all over the ice.
Many good set-ups went wanting because the finishing was not there
today.  Sue Reece played a good game on defense.  I particularly liked
her shot from the point.

Harvard played their best game since the Northeastern match.  I was
happy to see the improved play of Ellen Frump, who is being half
shifted on the second line.  It is a pity she doesn't get full ice
time, and the defensive crew doesn't get a fourth mate.  Frump and
Megan Hall had a series of break-out/in plays that showed some real
promise.  Kim Landry had a strong weekend for the Crimson.  Playing
on the first line, she was there at both ends of the ice.  As I
mentioned above, Leitzes and Alissi are sparkling.  They read each
other so well, and then make the passes and shots look easy.  I look
forward to watching their partnership develop next year.  Winkie
Mleczko continued her good work on the blue line by making the simple
play.  Overall a wonderful effort for the women of Harvard.

One last note:  the banner makers of Princeton outdid themselves to-
day.  Not only was there the classic: "The Maidens of Pain" flag,
but also a sign for the '91/'92 Ivy League Champions - Maidens of
Pain, complete with a border of Ivy.  Touches like that, certainly
make a match even more lively, and elegant.

/
 good shooting
 rhun