Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 91 09:25:00 CDT
E G L I N   A F B
                    I N T E R O F F I C E   M E M O R A N D U M

                                        Date:     16-Jan-1991 08:01 CDT
                                        From:     1LT RICO E. VITALE
                                                  VITALE
                                        Dept:     AFATL/FXA
                                        Tel No:   904 882 4085

TO:  _MAILER!                             ( _DDN[[log in to unmask]] )

Subject: Trying to calm some fears and other comments

Good morning from Florida!

	I'll try to calm some of the controversy surrounding the new NCAA
rules regarding hockey and all other designated non-revenue sports.
Everything that's been summed up is pretty much correct with a few
addendums.

1.)  A school will be considered a Div I school if and only if (sorry I'm
an engineer) it has the specified number of men's and women's teams
participating at the Div I level (this number is currently seven I believe)
and the school itself provides a minimum of $250,000 in academic or
athletic scholarships per year.  If a school, such as those hockey schools
discussed earlier, doesn't meet this criteria it will be considered to
either Div II or III depending if it meets the requirements for those
divisions.  A school will be allowed to participate in Div I with a sport,
such as hockey, but as stated will only receive traveling expenses from the
Div I tournaments they participate in.  They will receive a share of the
Div II or III NCAA tournament profits (if any) if they participate in the
Div I tournament.  This ruling penalizes the Div II and III schools, but
allows them some benefits for winning, small though they may be.  The basic
gist of all this is that all schools currently playing Div I hockey will
continue to do so if they can afford it.

2.)  Teams are limited now to a head coach, one paid assistant, a trainer
and an unpaid graduate assistant.

3.)  Training table meals will be limited to two meals a day (currently
three).

4.)  Athletic dorms will be phased out entirely.

5.)  Tutors and academic assistance must be provided to all athletes in Div
I sports.

6.)  Team practice is limited to 20 hours a week and there must be one
non-practice day each week.  The only exception to this is for individual
sports such as swimming, track, etc.  The individual may train on his/her
own over and above 20 hours as long as it's unsupervised and voluntary.
Individual weight and conditioning training for individuals in team sports
is also allowed.

7.)  The number of scholarships will be cut.  Being down in the South they
didn't report what hockey is allowed.  FYI Most 'Bama alumni I work with
don't even know they have a hockey team.

8.)  As stated earlier hockey is currently considered a non-revenue sport.
Hockey and some other sports are trying to get classified as revenue
producing so they get some of the other benefits now reserved for football
and basketball.

9.)  The number of games will be cut, forgot the number.  It was stated
correctly earlier in the HOCKEYLINE when I had the article in front of me.

These rules will be phased in from now until 1994 and may be modified.
Some proposals up for next year's meeting (in Nashville, TN) include total
freshman ineligibility (a reversion to the 1950s and 1960s).

Now for other comments:

Union Academics and Women's Sports:

	Like it or not people, the Ivy League will always be considered the
academic elite of this country, and if you are associated with them in any
way, like the ECAC, you will be looked upon more favorably than other
schools and organizations.  This is, I'm sure at the root of Union's
president's comments.  Also I agree he wasn't taking a swipe at the other
conferences, merely stating his preference.  I know nothing about Union
(didn't even know where it was till this issue arose), but if playing with
Harvard, Yale, Cornell and the rest if the Ivies is the push they need to
join Div I so be it.

	As stated by many people in Sports Illustrated, the NCAA, etc,
women's sports have been getting the short end of the stick since the Roman
Coliseum was built.  Union's idea of bringing a women's sport was a great
idea if one wanted to come along.  Politics or not it was a nice gesture on
Union's part.

See y'all later,

Rico Vitale
Clarkson University '88