Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1992 15:17:00 EDT
I was not at Albany but I did see the game on TV so I am basing my conclusions
on the information supplied on this list.

If a player attempts to assault a ref during a game that is one thing.  It is
an entirely different matter to attempt to assault a ref after the game has
ended and away from the field of play.  My feeling is that any player involved
in such an altercation should have his NCAA eligibility stripped!  At the very
least he should loose a year of playing time (and the corresponding year of
eligibility).

Hearing that an assistant coach was involved was very frightening.  I would
not like this coach teaching my kid how to play!!!!  On this topic, the NCAA
has a more difficult problem since they are now dealing with a persons job and
livlihood.  My feeling is that this coach should be banned from college sports
for at least a year.  I would prefer that the university follow up with
terminating the coach.

The head coach is indeed responsible for the actions of his team and assistant
coaches.  Since he was not directly involved, the penalty should not be as
sever but one game?  That is ridiculous!!!!!!  Even if it is a playoff game.
I would prefer 5 or 6 games.

The university should be held accountable simply because a message must be
sent that this type of behavior will not be tolerated.  The loss of a
scholarship for a year seems appropriate since one of their players might be
lost for the season (if my first idea is followed).

Just my opinion.

Eric

Eric Maiwald                             maiwald at dockmaster.ncsc.mil
Booz, Allen & Hamilton                Go, Go, Go, You, Red, Red, Red!!!
Bethesda, MD                                                    RPI '87