Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1992 16:16:02 EDT
Interestingly enough, junior forward Dan Stiver received the Howard Colby
Award as the most sportsmanlike wolverine.  You may recall that Stiver
took some heat for delivering a post-game cheap shot to a member of BGSU
after BGSU swepted Michigan this season.  Of course, I can't honestly
think of anyone more sportsmanlike than Stiver.  Maybe our backup goalie,
Chris Gordon.  He wasn't on the ice enough to take a shot at anyone.

Other Michigan awards:
  Hal Downes Trophy (MVP):  Sr F Denny Felsner (42-52--94)
  Vic Heyliger Trophy (outstanding defenseman):  Jr David Harlock
  Alton D. Simms Trophy (most improved):  Sr D Doug Evans
  Carl Issacson Award (top student athlete):  Sr F Mike Helber
  Dekers Club Award (most colorful rookie):  F Mike Knuble
  Doc Losh Trophy (scoring leader):  Felsner, of course.

These were reported by the Michigan Daily.  I was too upset from their
showing against Wisconsin to attend the awards banquet.  I should have
gone, if nothing more than to honor the seniors for helping bring this
program from obscurity to a national power (once again).  The seniors:

  F Denny Felsner (has joined the St Louis Blues)
  F Ted Kramer (drafted by the LA Kings, the Charles Manson of LA-LA-land?)
  D Doug Evans (drafted by the Winnipeg Jets, Evans did more his senior
    year than the first three combined -- a more deserving most improved
    player award has never been given)
  F Mike Helber (drafted by the Winnipeg Jets, my pick to stick around as
    a graduate assistant -- his brother, Tim, was a walk-on and later served
    as the grad assistant in 1990-91 -- another brother, Matt, will be
    attempting to walk-on to the 1992-93 wolverines -- I hope he makes it
    if for nothing more than to see Grandma Helber proudly display her
    maize and blue throughout Yost Arena for four more years)

John H
U Mich