From:
"J. Michael Neal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2013 16:15:51 -0500
This is a bunch of sophistry and I stand by my assertion of an empathy
deficiency.  The origin of the word is of, at most, marginal
importance.  (Aside from which, the etymology of the word "Sioux" is
vastly more complicated than you describe and really only the written
element of it can be attributed to the French; the original word they
used is probably of Ojibwe origin.)

The word was used to refer to a specific set of people.  Regardless of
the etymology, the fact that the concept of that group of people was
appropriated, along with their likeness and symbology in the logo, is
what matters here.  If anything the origin of the word makes the moral
offense worse.  The white settlers of North Dakota murdered many of a
group of people, stole their land and then used them as a symbol for
their own purposes without consultation and described them not as they
called themselves but with a slur used by others against them.  The
proper analogy here is not "Fighting Irish"; it's "Fighting Paddies".
How in the world does that make it better?

The legal discussion is largely irrelevant.  The NCAA is a voluntary
organization and is free to establish whatever requirements it likes on
membership.  If they want to say that you can only belong if you have a
name approved by the set of people it represents, that's up to the
NCAA.  I think you trip over yourself in your presentation of the legal
questions in an amusing fashion but it really doesn't matter.  If you
want to argue that UND has the right to call itself by the name used for
a specific set of people regardless of whether they want that name to be
used then you'll have to make that case on the ethics, not the legality.

As for the accusation that they just want a bigger payout, so what?
Isn't it one of the glories of America that someone can charge what they
like for the things that they own?  Just because someone else wants it
doesn't mean that they get to have it.  Either pay up or shut up.

--
J. Michael Neal

I've opened the box and I've touched the treasures of the earth
They're buried on the island far away
And I'm here in England with the map burning my pocket
Dreaming of diamonds..
Such a blinding secret to bear.