From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2013 14:03:54 -0500
On 3/21/2013 11:59 AM, Jim Dixon wrote:
> I have it on DVR - please free free to stop by - although free is a
> relative work as it involves a flight to Fairbanks - but the beer and
> brats are on me.
>
> With Alaska sitting tied for 16th in pairwise, the path to the
> playoffs is a strange and twisted one.

Jim, especially strange and twisted for the fact that sitting in a
five-way tie for 16th in pairwise is less encouraging than having soared
to 30th on the strength of an eight-game undefeated streak that only has
to be stretched to ten to preserve the longest NCAA tournament
appearance streak.  At least Michigan can still influence its destiny
and chance to perform the same miracle for the second time in four years.

Three years ago, the junior three-year starting goalie went down in
about the last regular season game that left any practical possibility
of keeping the NCAA appearance streak alive and the untried sophomore
walk-on kicked off a win streak that kept him in goal for the rest of
his college career.  Michigan didn't lose again until the ref lost sight
of their winning overtime goal in the regional final, but he kept
Miami's second overtime period goal in sight.

This year, the freshman goalie emerged from the goalie pile just in time
to salvage a 7th-place conference finish and get another stab at
stretching the record for consecutive NCAA appearances. Can't help but
be reminded of the Maple Leafs in the six-team NHL, who always seemed
satisfied to coast into the fourth playoff spot well-rested and then
wreaked havoc with the leaders who'd torn themselves apart in the
regular season.

I'd like to see Fairbanks in the NCAAs, but my first vote is for
anything that puts Michigan against Boston U in this year's semi-final.
Red needs a last shot at Jack for the time BU interrupted Michigan's
second three-year national championship streak in a year the Wolverines
had been #1 from the pre-season poll to the end of that semi-final
game.  If that comes about, I don't care who wins the final.

Bob