From:
Mike Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:05:24 -0500
Okay, help me out here.  As I see it, the possibilities for the NCAA
tournament play out like this:

1. Already In (1): Bemidji
1-1/2. Will be In (1): Atlantic Hockey Champion
2. In (7): BU, Northeastern, Yale, Michigan, Notre Dame, Denver, North
Dakota.  I see no reasonable way any of these can fail to get an at-large.
3. Probably In, but stranger things have happened (3): Cornell, Vermont,
New Hampshire.  If Cornell goes 0-2, there are a few ways they can fail to
make it, but the other 2 are done playing and so can't move that much.
4. Win or Go Home (8): BC, Lowell, Alaska, Northern Michigan, Wisconsin,
and the 3 AHA teams that don't win that tournament.  I have tried, but
can't find a way for BC or Wisconsin to play their way into an at-large
bid, either they win the tourney or they don't make the top 14 - I can get
BC to #15, but no higher.

5. The Bubble: St. Lawrence, Duluth, Princeton, Minnesota, Miami.  If
there are no cinderella teams this weekend, 4 make it and 1 stays home.
So obviously all these teams are rooting for favorites in the conference
tournaments.  Minnesota & Miami in particular as they have nothing better
to do now. ;-)  SLU, UMD, and Princeton at least can play their way in.

So what am I missing? Is there a way for any of my "Win or Go Home" teams
to play their way into an at-large bid?  How do Vermont or UNH get booted?
 What combinations of wins and losses would favor some bubble teams the
most?  Can any of my 7 "In" teams possibly be "Out" by Saturday night?

And how the heck will the tourney end up being bracketed with 3 host
schools smack in the midst of the rankings?

Oh yes, it's the most wonderful day of the year.  Except if you're my
boss, expecting productivity...

Mike A