From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:34:20 -0400
I recorded the game on my DVR and watched it later Saturday night. So I got
to see not only the multitude of replays but got to watch my own replays
including super slo-mo and freeze frames.

I took the recital of the rules as they were stated by the announcers and as
have been confirmed by people on the list.  What I saw was the puck
deflecting off the left skate toward the right skate and an attempt by Kyle
Lawson to kick the puck out onto his stick so he could shoot it into the
open net.  However, he missed  it with his right skate.

My understanding of the rule is that the goal is disallowed if the puck is
sent into the net if it is intentionally directed toward the net with
something other than a stick. The replay judge not only got it wrong; he got
it wrong both ways.  The right skate never made contact with the puck but
even if it did, it was being directed away from the net and toward Lawson's
stick.

In the overall scheme of things, I still think it's a good idea for video
replay for every goal.  I wish the facilities were there to review every
goal for every game.  But, as much as we'd like to think that video replay
is infallible, it clearly isn't.  Still, it's a lot more reliable than
leaving those decisions to an on-ice official who has to watch everything at
once and react in fractions of a second.

Congratulations to Jackson and the entire Notre Dame team for defying the
odds and getting as far as they did. I thought that overall, BC was the
better team in the championship game and, as such, would probably have
prevailed anyway.  However, the difference between 3-2 and 4-1 puts a cloud
over this outcome for me.