From:
Erik J Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:47:41 -0600
John Edwards wrote:

> I don't think the two examples are similar at all. From what I understand,
> UMTC is clearly the main campus of the UofM system, while Duluth, Crookston,
> Morris and Rochester are  smaller campuses. Athletically, they don't compete
> with each other, except in hockey.

While "University of Minnesota-Twin Cities" and occasionally "UMTC" are used
in an academic context, those names aren't applicable in the realm of
athletics.  It's a simple matter of primacy.  Teams from the Twin Cities
campus competed for well over half a century as the University of Minnesota
before the Duluth campus (formerly Duluth State Teacher's College) was added
in 1950.  Some Duluthians think it's very amusing to put "UMTC" on the
scoreboard when the Gophers play in the DECC, but they know better.

-- Erik