From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 12:23:38 -0500
All excellent points, Mark.  You do have to allow some flexibility for
the referees to alter what they are calling in order to maintain control
of some games, but I see no reason why refs from different conferences
cannot be trained to respond to the same rules interpretations in the
same way.   If they were then you wouldn't find chaos caused by two refs
on the ice calling different things.  BTW, I think on some penalties,
the ref sees something and knows a penalty has occured, but what they
report as one two minute penalty to the anouncer was, in fact, a
different two minute minor.  Nevertheless, the great majority of them do
a fantastic job seeing infractions and calling them.

My biggest refereeing gripe is when they "swallow the whistle" to let
them "decide it on the ice."  That is utter BS.  If it is a penalty in
the first five minutes of the game, its a penalty in the last five.  Not
calling it is not letting them decide it on the ice, its altering the
rules so that those who push the rules get away with more.  OK - my
annual rant is over now.

Tom Rowe