From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 20:28:30 -0900
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Saturday, February 26, 2005
Contact Dave Geringer, Sports Information Director
Phone: 907-474-6807

UAF Falls at Nebraska-Omaha, 7-2

OMAHA, NE-Nebraska-Omaha exploded for four goals in the third period and pulled away to defeat the University of Alaska Fairbanks’ hockey team, 7-2, in their Central Collegiate Hockey Association game at the Qwest Center in Omaha Saturday evening.

The Mavericks, who led, 3-2, after two periods, scored three goals in the final six minutes and 16 seconds and pulled away to earn the win and a split of their weekend series.

The Nanooks had cut a 3-1 UNO advantage to 3-2 after two periods, but the Mavericks struck first in the third period. Bryan Marshall scored his second goal of the game, firing a rebound past UAF senior goaltender Keith Bartusch (Graham, WA/Fairbanks-NPJHL) at 4:45 of the third period.

UNO expanded their lead with three goals in the final seven minutes of the third period. Dan Hacker converted a pass from Joe Grimaldi to make it 5-2 at 13:44, Alex Nikiforuk took a pass from Hacker and scored 24 seconds later at the 14:08 mark, and Marshall scored his third goal of the game at 19:58 of the third period. Jason Krischuk and Grimaldi assisted.

Nebraska-Omaha took the lead for good in the second period, breaking a 1-1 tie with two goals to take a 3-1 lead. Dan Hacker of the Mavericks was off for hooking when UNO’s Bill Thomas broke in alone Bartusch. Thomas fired a shot past Bartusch at 2:15 to make it 2-1.

UNO doubled its lead when Bryan Marshall made it 3-1 with his 11th goal of the season three minutes and 41 seconds later. Marshall put a rebound past Bartusch at the 5:56 mark, with freshman left wing Aaron Lee (Calgary, AB-Sherwood Park-AJHL) in the penalty box for tripping.

The Nanooks halved UNO’s advantage on freshman left wing Kyle Greentree’s (Victoria, BC/Victoria-BCHL) eighth goal of the year, a power play goal at 10:37. Greentree scored. Greentree converted passes from freshman center Ryan McLeod (Fernie, BC/Salmon Arm-BCHL) and senior right wing Jason Grinevitch (Glendon, AB/Drayton Valley-AJHL) with Joe Grimaldi of the Mavs in the penalty box for delaying the game.

The teams exchanged goals in the first period. Bill Bagron put the Mavericks on the board first, scoring his fourth goal of the season at 15:35.

Sophomore center Curtis Fraser (Surrey, BC/Vernon-BCHL) of the Nanooks was credited with the tying goal when the puck was deflected into the goal from a scramble in front of the net. Senior defenseman Corbin Schmidt (Anchorage, AK/Tri-City-USHL) assisted at 16:58.

“Tonight wasn’t the same as last night (6-4 UAF win), and we didn’t do the things that allowed us to have success last night,” said UAF Head Coach Tavis MacMillan. “We were lucky to be down a goal going into the third period. We didn’t respond well, and we didn’t adjust to adversity. They outplayed us, and they deserved to win. Now, we have a huge weekend coming up, and we need some guys to step up and lead us.”

The Mavericks outshot UAF, 40-26. Bartusch made 33 saves, while UNO’s Chris Holt made 24. Alaska Fairbanks went one for two on the power play, while Nebraska-Omaha went two for four.

UAF dropped to 12-15-3, 11-14-3 in the CCHA, and finished CCHA play with 25 points. The Nanooks can finish no higher than seventh place when the regular season ends next weekend, and will be on the road for the first round of the playoffs when they begin Friday, March 11th.

UNO improved to 17-13-4 and 13-11-4 in CCHA play. The Mavericks finished with 30 points, are currently in fourth place, and have clinched home ice for the first round of the playoffs.

The Nanooks will return to action when they host Alaska Anchorage next Friday and Saturday nights in the second and final round of the battle for the Alaska Airlines Governor’s Cup.

-UAF HOCKEY-