From:
Thom Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:07:39 -0400
And, just to extend this thread a little further, I think that neither the
UNH-Mercyhurst game (which I did not see) nor the Sox-Cards game (that I
did see) on Saturday night was anything to write home about. Sounds like
UNH played down to Mercyhurst's level late in the game (sorry, Atlantic
Hockey fans, of which I am one, as I suffered through a tie and loss
watching my Bentley Falcons this past weekend).

One might also argue that the Sox do not deserve a World Series after the
two games they played on Saturday and Sunday nights, both about as ugly as
baseball gets.

BTW, I always turn off the sound on my TV so as not to subject myself to
Buck and McCarver, even when they are not St. Louis home boys as this
year, and tune in my radio to Joe and Jerry or anyone else instead.

Thom Davis
UNH71  Go Cats! Go Falcons!

Just to report in after an exhilirating weekend. I did go to the hockey
game
on Saturday night without my wife Karen, who wanted so soak up all the
pre-game hype spewed out by the obnoxious duo of Joe Buck and Tim McCarver
(both St. Louis toadies BTW), but only for about a period and a half. UNH
was ahead, 5-2, when I left and held on for the victory 5-4. What that
score
means for the rest of the season will be the subject of another post.

As far as the UNH/Red Sox karma . . . I once told Dick Umile that being a
Red Sox fan was good practice for being a UNH Hockey fan. He did not see
the
humor in my comment.

And for NCAA historians, UNH began D-1 play in the 1967-68 season. While
they have 37 years of futility, thankfully it is not as long as some other
schools on this list.

Greg Ambrose