From:
Dave Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 22:08:31 -0400
http://www.boston.com/dailynews/184/sports/Former_Bruin_returns_to_alma_m:.shtml

By Associated Press, 7/2/2004 14:29

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) Former Boston Bruins forward Ted Donato, who retired
this spring after 13 NHL seasons, was introduced Friday as the new head
hockey coach at Harvard.

Donato, 35, will be returning to the school he led to the 1989 NCAA
championship.

''This is a great day for me,'' Donato said in a news conference. ''I'm
thrilled to be back at Harvard. ... I'm very excited about the future of
this team.''

Donato played at Harvard from 1987 to 1991 and was named the tournament's
most valuable player when the Crimson won the NCAA title. He scored a pair
of goals in Harvard's 4-3 overtime victory against Minnesota in the 1989
championship game.

''When he was a player here, Harvard was at the top in college hockey,''
said senior co-captain and defenseman Noah Welch. ''We think that with his
confidence and experience,he can help us make that jump.''

Last year's team went 18-15-3 and advanced to the NCAA tournament.

Donato broke his foot on April 9 blocking a shot during Game 2 of Boston's
first-round playoff series against the Montreal Canadiens. He retired at
the end of the season.

''I think it's terrific,'' said Bruins general manager Mike O'Connell. ''I
spoke to Teddy about a week ago about it, and I think he's an excellent
choice.

A graduate of Catholic Memorial High School in Boston, Donato was drafted
by the Bruins in the 1987 NHL draft. He played six years with Boston
before he was traded to the New York Islanders in 1998. He also played
with Ottawa, Anaheim, Dallas, Los Angeles, St. Louis and New York Rangers
before returning to the Bruins to end his career.

Donato had three 20-plus goal seasons for the Bruins with a career-high of
25 in 1996-1997. In all, he played 796 regular-season games, scoring 347
points (150 goals).

Donato was also a member of the 1992 U.S. Olympic team.

-Dave
UML'86