From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 12:04:07 -0600
I was able to watch 3 games on satellite yesterday (NESN).  My take was
slightly different.

Maine v. Harvard:  Howard had an off day.  Who hasn't had an off day?
Big deal.  Harvard didn't so much melt down as Maine finally came on to
play their game in the 3rd period.  If you were a Maine fan it was a
thrilling comeback.  If a Harvard fan, a depressing disappointment.  But
I would hardly say either team embarassed themselves.

ND v. Holy Cross.  Well, sure it was a mismatch.  ND completely
dominated the game doing what I would call a workmanlike effort.  Games
like this will continue to be a mismatch until the new leagues have a
chance to mature, but without those new leagues and their automatic bids
we wouldn't have a 16 team field, either.  Live with it.

Wisc - OSU.  Boring?  How can you call that boring?  You had an evenly
matched defensive struggle with both teams doing just what they needed
to thwart the other, and still had scoring chances with two goalies
having good games.  How can you not like a game like that unless the
only thrill you have is seeing a goal scored?  I suppose a football game
that doesn't end 37-34 or a soccer match that doesn't go 6-5 or a
squeakball game that doesn't end 89-87 is boring too (Oh - wait a min.
Squeakball is boring by definition - Nevermind!)?  Anyway, a defensive
struggle is just as entertaining as an offensive struggle if you are a
fan of the game.  Even a stupid game, and hockey isn't stupid.

As to the ice in Albany, why does the NCAA pick venues like this?  They
must know about this kind of problem in advance, so just what are their
criteria?  Those were two great games.  Its too bad the conditions
weren't more optimal for the players.

OK - flame away if you must.

Tom Rowe in Wisconsin