From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:26:41 -0600
Wayne T Smith wrote:

> * Over the next several years Hockey-L readership grew to 2000+.  We'd
> have 50, 75 or even 100 posts per day.

So there really were 2000+ at one time?  And I just assumed Tony was
using the same memory he used to recall more people at the Anaheim
Hockey-L dinner than there were at the Pond. :-)

Speaking of crowds, can anyone shed light on a supposed remark by Red
Berenson during the past couple weeks that suggested he'd favor another
outdoor game?  He may have commented during his Tuesday evening program
or possibly was quoted by a reporter.

At the time Michigan State hosted 76,000+ at the first Cold War game a
couple years back, Spartan Stadium was the only potential venue (and it
was a member of the Spartan staff who came up with that idea).  The
weight of the installed rink apparently requires the foundation used for
artificial turf.  Michigan Stadium had natural turf at the time and
Spartan Stadium was slated to convert to natural the following year, so
it was unlikely there could be a repeat game.  But Michigan Stadium has
now been converted to the new type of artificial turf.  Does that
suggest we could see a college hockey game with a sellout crowd of
110,000+?    . . . . . .  and every seat a good one if you bring
binoculars and it's not rained out.

I still favor using the Texas Motor Speedway.  That holds 300,000 and it
never snows or rains.

Bob Griebel