From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T. Whelan
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:13:32 -0500
On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Mark Lewin wrote:

> First night of the season; I tried tuning into the first games to
> see which internet broadcasts are active.  I don't know about
> Niagara (I was too late for the first game).

The good news is that Niagara seemed to have a free webcast.  The bad
news is that it was a Winamp stream, so I wasn't able to get it
running on my Linux box and didn't care enough to boot up in an
otherwise useless operating system.

> The Air Force Academy doesn't stream their hockey games. Miami and
> Bowling Green both do. At least they did last year.

> This year, they're both part of a paid subscription service.

> I fear that most of the teams that used to be on Broadcast.com
> (aka sports.yahoo.com) are now part of this service.

This College Sports Pass crap seems to be the brainchild of
RealNetworks and the Official College Sports Network, who appear to
have bought out FansOnly, a company to whom far too many athletic
department webpages (like half the Ivy League) were outsourced.  I
suspect you'll find a strong correlation between Division I football
schools and paying for broadcasts.

> Boy, remember the good old days when the internet was free.....

Don't give up the fight, people.  If you do decide to fork over the
$7/month to hear your team's broadcasts, be sure to let them know
you'll be deducting that amount from your annual donation.  (If
they're going to employ a "business model", no reason why you
shouldn't.)
                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/

Enjoy the latest Hockey Geek tools at slack.net/hockey