From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 18:41:58 -0400
Having watched the finals on video tape (thankfully before checking my email
where overzealous Minnesota fans once again put a final score in the subject
line), I had
flashbacks to RPI's last national championship in 1985.

Specifically, I refer to the semifinal between RPI (led by Adam Oates) and
Minnesota-Duluth
(led by freshman Brett Hull).  The officiating mirrored what I saw last
night.  They started calling
a tight game in the first and second period and put the whistles away for
the third period and all 3 overtimes.
I've heard the story before that the referees don't want to  affect the
outcome of the game
by penalty calls.  My contention is that calling an even, consistent game
puts the onus back where it belongs;
on the players.  If the players  know what the referee will and won't allow,
then it's up to them to
adjust their style accordingly. If they're dumb enough to clearly trip
someone in center ice with 19000+ people
watching, then, oh well, they blew it, not the referee.

In 1985, the 3rd period between RPI and UMD started getting quite physical.
The play deteriorated through the
overtime periods as the players got more and more tired and irritable.  As
the referee seemed to be calling nothing, play
deteriorated until there was an interference call in the third overtime
which allowed John Carter to score
the winning goal for RPI.  I've watched this tape a dozen times through the
years and have yet to determine what made
the referee call this particular interference when there were so many more
blantant penalties before that  he let go.

Last night also; was that a trip? Absolutely. But prior to that were
numerous more blatant calls. There were many
hitting from behind calls, boarding calls much more dangerous than the ones
that were called early in the game.
There were the two no-calls on Hauser for high sticking and tripping (or was
it slashing the ankles).

I agree that the level of officiating seems to be heading downhill.  Is it
too much to ask that a referee decide how he is
going to enforce the rules and warn the players in advance that a trip in
the first period will be a trip in the third and in overtime?  That leaves
the outcome of the game in the hands of the players where it belongs.