From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 07:46:53 -0800
--- "John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> BU is building a new rink?  I have to say, even as a visitor, I liked
> the atmosphere in Walter Brown.
Yes I believe where the old Armory was - which is not far from Walter
Brown.

> Why did Niagara get put in the East (instead of, say, Vermont),
> anyway?  Was it just a desire to keep the schools that play in the
> ECAC D1 men's league together?
You got it!
Union College plans to have a DI Women's varsity side starting in
2003-2004.  Currently the Skating Dutchwomen are playing in an ECAC DIII
league.  That will leave only Clarkson and RPI in the ECAC DI Men's league
without a DI Women's counterpart, and they are both thinking about it.
The plan seems to be to have a mirror ECAC DI Men's league in a few years.

That leaves the ECAC with:  UConn, Niagara and QU.  Plus DI's Sacred Heart
and Holy Cross, who play in an ECAC DIII league currently, are said to be
thinking about playing in their division.  Also - the GLWHA: Mercyhurst,
Findlay and Wayne State would love a home with an established league.  They
were keen last year to join the WCHA, but that did not work out.  I could
see "ECAC DI WSE" (West by SouthEast) UConn, QU, Sacred Heart, Holy Cross,
Niagara, Mercyhurst, Findlay and WSU about when HEW starts.

Naturally that would not make Ohio State happy, as they'd love to have
Findlay and Mercyhurst as nearby league mates in the WCHA!

take care  -Richard

=====
                    \
    good shooting