From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:11:54 -0500
On Jan 2, 10:41, John T Whelan wrote:
>>I seem to recall that ties that went past regular season overtime (e.g.,
5
>>minutes?) were counted as ties.  If that is correct it would mean
multiple
>>overtimes, shootouts and games resolved after five minutes in a twenty
minute
>>overtime would be counted as ties.  Of course, this is some fuzzy memory
>>from years ago.  It could have also changed in the interim.
>
>There have been some situations where an in-season tournament game has
>also counted as a league game, and in those cases, a win after the
>first five minutes of overtime would have been recorded as a tie in
>the *league* standings.  Perhaps that's what you're thinking of?

Although counting such a game as a tie in the league standings and as an OT
win/loss for NCAA purposes is what, AFAIK, is supposed to happen, I don't
believe such a situation has actually come up.  In the few instances that I
can recall of an in-season tourney game counting as a league game, the
games didn't go to OT.

The OT-longer-than-five-minutes controversy reared its ugly head a couple
years ago at the season-opening Ice Breaker Cup, when BC beat Ohio State in
double-OT in a game in which the first OT was mistakenly scheduled for
five, rather than twenty, minutes.  Some official-type (probably from Ohio
State :-) floated the rumor that the game was going to be counted as a tie
for tournament selection purposes, and this made its way into a column
written by Gregg Wong.  You can imagine the consternation, elsewhere as
well as here on HOCKEY-L.  The following was posted to HOCKEY-L by Steve
Hagwell, then the NCAA liaison to the Men's Ice Hockey rules committee:

that
>Mr. Wong is incorrect in stating that the game will be recognized as a tie
>for both teams at NCAA tournament selection time. Fact is, the game will
be
>recognized as a win for Boston College and a loss for Ohio State.
>
>On Monday, a memo on this issue was sent to all conference commissioners,
>supervisors of officials and NCAA ice hockey committee members, which
>included the following:
>
>"While the overtime format used at the Ice Breaker Cup did not comply with
>NCAA rules, a winner (Boston College) was determined and, thus, the game
>will be recorded as a victory for Boston College and a loss for Ohio
State.
>This includes the Ratings Percentage Index (RPI)."
>
>As stated in my previous post, the rules are clear on this issue (Rule
>6-48-a). While the overtime procedures used at the Ice Breaker were in
error
>(i.e., the first overtime should have been 20:00), the outcome is not
>invalidated. The fact that the game was tied after the 5-minute overtime,
is
>moot.

The only modification to the above is that, as has already been stated,
games decided by shootout after an overtime period has been played are
considered ties for selection purposes.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95                                             DJF  5/27/94
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  JCF  12/2/97
"I want it so quiet we can hear a mouse dropping."
-- Film director Gregory Ratoff.  Upon being told the correct word was "pin",
   Ratoff responded, "Exactly, like a mouse pin dropping."