From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 16:53:51 -0400
According to today's Boston Globe, Travis Roy and John Gilpatrick will be
graduating from college this Sunday.  Many people who aren't even connected
with college hockey know who Travis Roy is.  Many people who ARE connected
with college hockey DON'T know who John Gilpatrick is.

John Gilpatrick had an injury very similar to Travis Roy's, and only a few
weeks later.  But he played for Suffolk University, not exactly a high
profile program.  To my knowledge, no youth hockey associations put on fund
raisers for a "John Gilpatrick Fund"; there were no Bruins alumni games in
his name, no autobiographies published, none of that.  To me, the disparity
pointed out a lot of what's wrong about our media obsessed society.

I do believe, however, that I saw a news article a while back that
Gilpatrick was going to be associated with Suffolk or some other hockey
program.

Travis and John:  Congratulations for sticking it out and graduating.  Best
wishes.  Whether your recovery has been under a media microscope or in
obscurity, what you've done in the past few years has taken courage and
class, and both of you are a credit to college hockey.

Clay