Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:16:27 -0700
At 01:32 PM 1/15/00 -0500, Larry Winer wrote:
>I just can't believe that UVM would get involved in the hockey program.

And why shouldn't they? The players are students that must abide by the
same rules as their classmates. Considering the few details that have come
to light, it seems many of these students are lucky to still be in school.
It has been announced that no players are losing scholarships, and no
students have been expelled (yet).

The hockey team and its players got off easy. Many of their non-hockey
peers would have long since been expelled, or at the very least suspended
with privileges and scholarships revoked. Instead, they can't play hockey
and must focus for one semester on their education. Boo-hoo.

While I give kudos to the UVM administration for finally taking a stand on
this matter, their attitude up to this point has been unacceptable and will
likely prove detrimental in the long run. That they are acting now seems
only an attempt to prevent a black eye by punching themselves in the gut.

I agree that the fans -- student, alumni or otherwise -- are the ones truly
being punished here. I can only expect that UVM will be forced to extend a
refund or future discount to season ticket holders; if not, there will
surely be another lawsuit filed against the school.

Still more are punished by this decision. Students and others who held jobs
working with the team or at the rink are now without income; local media
faced without a sports headliner; area sponsors who have lost exposure; and
of course the team's many opponents, many of whom who now have one or more
nights with empty rinks on their schedule.

The true shame of this is that if indeed there are students truly guilty of
the accusations, enough so to warrant the cancelling of the season, it is
doubtful that they will ever gain an understanding of the massive effect of
their actions.

Ultimately it is the administration's and not the athletic department's
responsibility to answer to and act on these matters. Their current
decision will go far towards preventing further damage to both the school's
and the program's reputations, but the scar will forever remain.

Until we know all the facts, it is impossible to determine whether this
punishment is just. Ultimate judgement however will not be placed on events
of the past, but rather on those of the future. And as Larry suggested, a
close examination of the system that led to and perpetuated the involvement
in these activities is what is needed most.

greenie