From:
"Robert E. Jacobs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert E. Jacobs
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:47:28 -0500
>>Ever wounder why pros immediately get rid of mask? It is a
hinderance. How many are wearing them on a full time basis in the NHL?
The only ones I can think of are the ones that are suffering from a face
injury. The minute it heals they shed them things.<<

First, let's establish something regarding the latter part of your
statement; where you state:

"The only ones I can think of are the ones that are suffering from a face
injury. The minute it heals they shed them things."

You know this isn't true. I believe Jagr wears one..? There are others,
not that numbers are important. What IS important is that there is a half-
shield being worn at all in the NHL. How many players do you suppose
wore one in the 60's? 70's? 80's?. Why is that? First, there was no real
market for it. Tradition and ego are obviously big in athletics (especially
the toughest of tough-guy leagues, the NHL), and what "sissy" would be
caught dead in one? The speed and power of the game has obviously
increased as well; the shield/cage was very much a developmental
thing; the need may very well not have been there in years past,
regardless of availability/tradition issues. Yet here we are, and they are
becoming almost, dare I say, fashionable in today's NHL. I am not a big
follower of the NHL, but don't some of the better players wear one -
Kariya, Selanne, Jagr, etc..?

It's funny how much custom, tradition, and just plain ol' momentum
push us along with our thoughts and actions. Who here is an advocate
for bringing back the leather helmet for the NCAA/NFL? I mean, it *has*
to be more comfortable, and helmet-to-helmet contact doesn't occur
*that* often anyway. And those damn goalie masks sure are
cumbersome...

Besides, I thought the issue here was whether or not these devices
increase/decrease propensity for violent activity..? Seems to me that a
player lacking the respect to keep his stick down or to keep from hitting
from behind will lack it regardless of whatever immediate danger to his
victim. I can think of no analogy where putting one's guard down to a
potential malicious act resulted in a favorable consequence. Rational
thought is a lot to ask for in a game as fast as hockey, and some
simply aren't able to keep up. Better to take these decisions out of the
player's hands (or heads, as it were). Organized hockey at *any* level is
a privelege, not a right.

Robert